Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Vendor Spotlight: Creative Cake Design by Tammy Hodge

This week's "Vendor Spotlight" was given to Creative Cake Design by Tammy Hodge, who designs beautiful cakes in the Wilmington area. Tammy has delicious cake flavors ranging from Vanilla Buttercream, Raspberry Swirl, and Chocolate Mousse. She creates all sorts of cakes for many occasion.

One of her clients wrote "Tammy perfectly pieced together what we had envisioned for our dream wedding cake. She was prompt, friendly, and comforting in a stressful time." The RiverRoom had the opportunity of asking Tammy a few questions about herself. Here is what she had to say!

1. When did you first decide you wanted to design cakes?
"I have always been a crafty person but it was when I was laid off from my corporate finance job back in 2011 that I made it my full time hobby." 
2. How long have you been designing cakes for? 
"Officially, I have been designing cakes since October 2011"
3. Where do you get the inspiration to design your beautiful cakes?
"I get my inspiration from various places; of course, Pinterest, and wedding blogs, cartoons, the customer's ideas, and even fabrics and home improvement paint swatches."
4. How long does it usually take you to design a wedding cake?
"Designing the cake is my favorite part. Many times I am designing the cake in my head as a client is telling me their ideas."
5. What is your favorite kind of cake to make?
"My favorite cake to make is when a customer tells me to be creative and do whatever comes to mind with what ideas they've given me."
6. What other desserts do you make besides cakes?
"We make a lot of different desserts such as cake pops candies cookies and even pies. pies are one of my favorites."
 7. Do you use a secret recipe for your delicious cakes?
"There really is no secret recipe for cakes. I have gathered recipes across the internet and from family to come up with the ones that we use in the bakery. Sometimes just play around with flavors and test them on my family, friends, and staff. So far, so good. The most important ingredient in all of our cakes is love. You can just tell when a cake has been made with love or simply thrown together or massed produced. When it's your calling or comes from the heart even when you don't even really know the client that well truly. Your heart has to be in each piece. That's why it is difficult to see that first knife cut at times."
8. What is the most intricate cake you have had to make?
"Our MadHatter that I did for the Fake Wedding probably the most intricate cake I've made to date. I mean the structure was over 4 feet tall, a topsy turvy cake, a mid air teapot pouring tea, not to mention a working mechanical clock. What a fun cake that was! I still get the giggles thinking about that creation."
9. What is the process you take in order to design and perfect your cakes? 
"I research the internet, take detailed information from/ about the customer, I pull fabrics and paint swatches, I color (yea), and draw the cake as I see it in my mind." 





Anchored In Love Photography

Anchored In Love Photography

Anchored In Love Photography

Anchored In Love Photography
Erin Whittle Photography
Matt McGraw Photography

Matt McGraw Photography

Matt McGraw Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

Dana Laymon Photography

I know here at The RiverRoom, we love Tammy Hodge and her delicious creative cakes. If you'd like to enjoy her yummy cakes, give Creative Cake Design by Tammy Hodge a call at 910-515-6303. Thank you Tammy for designing such amazing cakes and being such a great vendor at The RiverRoom. We love when the cake pop fairy stops by our office during the week too. *wink wink* 
The cake pop fairy stopped by in March 2014!

Location: 18 South Water Street, Wilmington, NC 28401, USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment